Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Venericardia planicosta Pelecypod Fossil


This bivalve fossil was found in Monroeville, Monroe County, Alabama in the Gosport Sand Formation.  It existed in the Eocene Epoch of the Paleogene Period. The fossil appears to be a Venericardia planicosta (Lamarck 1801).  It is extra nice in that both halves are present. I still need to clean this fossil. Thanks to Herb & Pam for the fossil.


Identification based on plate 167 figure 22 of Index Fossils of North America (Shimer & Shrock, 1944).


4 comments:

Tony Edger said...

Love the growth lines that bisect the ribs. I enjoyed the post and it fits in perfectly with the post just put up by R.L. Squires on his blog Paleo & Geo Topics. He gives some deep time background on Venericardia in a piece titled A Clam for the Ages. It can be found here:

https://rsquirespaleo.blogspot.com/2020/06/a-clam-for-ages.html

Best,
Tony

Tony Edger said...

I need to add to my previous comment. I'm finding discrepancies regarding Venericardia between information about the time span and extinction status of the genus that appears in the Paleobiology Database and what Squires writes in his post. I'll approach him for clarification.

Michael Popp said...

Thanks for the comments. Wow, what a coincidence about the similar fossils. I was not aware of that blog but it looks like a lot of good information about fossils. Look forward to reading it some more.

Unknown said...

Hi.My name is Ramazan i write to you From Turkey..i find fossil 500-1000 metter high on the mountin this place so faraway from the see..l have 4-5 pieces.I think they are so old..If you are interes. Please write to back.Thanks