Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ordovician Period Trilobites

Two trilobite fossils are shown in this entry. The first is an intact enrolled Flexicalymene sp. trilobite. It is probably Ordovician Period and found in Kentucky. Thanks to Mary Ann for letting me photograph it. I forgot to ask about how it became part of her collection.  With some air abrasion cleaning, this specimen could be look'in nice!




The second trilobite fossil is just a fragment.  It is an Isotelus sp. I recently found on a field trip to Franklin County, Kentucky.  The original find was just the back of the cephalon plate with a broken genial spine. Using a Dremel engraving tool, more of the cephalon was exposed and the eye appeared as well.  Unfortunately, my inexperience with the engraver caused some white scratch marks on the cephalon and the eye piece.



This fossil was found in Lexington Limestone and is from the Ordovician Period.  The particular trilobite is the official state fossil of Ohio.  It was awarded that distinction by the legislature in 1985.

The image shows a close up to where the genial spine once protruded off the cephalon.

Possibly, these creatures reached lengths to almost a meter.

3 comments:

cryptidsaurian said...

Can you give me directions to where you hunted in Franklin county? I am an amateur fossil hunter, and need new places to hunt trilobies; and though just a fragment, the isotelus interested me.. Also, do you know any locations where I could find fully intact crinoids? (just the heads really)

cryptidsaurian said...

Hello, my name is Lincoln shoemaker, I'm an amateur fossil hunter from indiana. Could you please give me directions to the site where you found the isotelus fragment? I typically hunt crinoids from the waldron shale, but want to diversify my collection with some trilobites; also do you know of any exposures of the dillsboro formation? I think since your isotelus is from Franklin county, it probably is, but if you know of any others, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

Michael Popp said...

Contact me via e-mail at louisvillefossils@gmail.com and I will try and help you.

As for crinoid calyx, investigate locations in Crawfordsville, Indiana. World famous for their Mississippian period crinoids and if you have not already, visit the Indiana State Museum and view the Indiana marine fossil sections to see the fossil wonders of your state.

Good hunting!