Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Holocystites Cystoid


Pictures of two marble size cystoids (Rhombifera) of the Waldron Shale (Niagara Limestone) of Clark County, Indiana.  These cystoids are called Holocystites sp. and existed in the Silurian Period.  See another one in the database of the Indiana State Museum.  Caryocrinites persculptis cystoids have also been found in the Waldron Shale as seen at this website.

These are the first cystoids I have ever found.  Learn more about these amazing creatures at the entry of Wikipedia.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a site in the Louisville Lm that produced Caryocrinites sp. on every visit. That was about 10 year ago. I visited it last week, and it is mostly destroyed. Not one cystoid.

Michael Popp said...

You should take pictures of your Caryocrinites cystoids and post them on your blog.

I would like to see them since my exposure to this type of fossil is quite limited.